In major disease outbreaks, Risk Communication and Community Engagement (RCCE) engages and communicates with affected people on their own terms, with evidence-based health promotion, social and behavior change, and participatory approaches that help them protect themselves and their families from infection, slow the spread of disease in communities, and reduce an outbreak’s impacts. The READY initiative is welcoming applications from individuals operating in Ethiopia for an upcoming Risk Communication and Community Engagement Outbreak Readiness Training. This four-day trainingaims to strengthen technical and operational leadership to plan and execute RCCE readiness and response in large-scale outbreaks with considerations for humanitarian contexts.
When and Where
The in-person training will take place from January 31 to February 3, 2023, in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia. In addition, there will be two 90-minute virtual pre-training sessions in December 2022 or January 2023 (based on participant availability) focused on an introduction to infectious disease outbreaks in humanitarian settings and the basic concepts of RCCE. Post-training virtual mentorship (February–April 2023) will be offered to provide continued technical and operational skills-building and technical assistance.
The goal of this training is to strengthen RCCE leadership to drive a more participatory, community-led response in large-scale outbreaks, and facilitate behavior change with data-driven communication. The training will include interactive exercises that link to an evolving outbreak scenario in a humanitarian setting, allowing learners to apply what they have learned and reflect on operational considerations. Thematic content will include:
- RCCE readiness actions and developing a readiness and response plan
- Understanding coordination for public health and humanitarian emergencies
- Applying social and behavior change in outbreaks
- Data collection and analysis (e.g., rapid assessments, community feedback)
- Community-led community engagement
- Messaging: Managing uncertainty and rumors
- Selecting RCCE interventions and messaging for different audience segments
- Monitoring and evaluating RCCE interventions